Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This, That and the Other

So ... I have some news.  I have turned in a rough draft of my thesis to my advisor.  39 pages of text, 11 figures, 1 table, for a grand total of 51 pages.  This is not including all the paperwork that must go in with it, so I'm nearly done!  SO close.

In employment news, I have decided that I hate contract companies.  They lure you in with the promise of lots of support, competitive pay, a great track record ... and then you still have to jump through all sorts of hoops in order to get them to begin looking for a job.  They apply pressure (what about early intervention, have you ever thought about early intervention ...NO, I said I wanted a pediatric medical placement.  If you can't find me that job then just tell me so and don't string me along, yes I realize that it will be difficult for a first year grad to find that type of job, but I am willing to wait for a great job than just taking the first okay job that comes along.  I don't want to do what everyone else is doing just because it's easy.  I know the 'best' place to work as a first year is in the schools ... but what they don't seem to understand is that I don't want to work in schools).  Also, they have poor communication within themselves - on multiple occasions I have been contacted by two people from the same staffing company.  I mean seriously.  Get your act together.  GAAAAAAAA.  I want a job simply so I can say to these people - sorry I already found a job.  rant rant rant grumble grumble grumble.  I suppose I should not complain about having to turn down jobs.  I am lucky to have the opportunity to do so (especially in this economy).  So, considering all of this, I am excited for a job I found by myself - a private practice in Seattle ... some barriers exist, though.  1) the job is part time, and will increase to full time if warranted (I asked when she would know and she has not replied yet) 2) whether the job and I are a match.  I think it will be, but we'll see. 3) whether they pay enough to support living in Seattle.  

Working through life ... my, how much fun it is.

No comments: