Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Day of Silence

So yesterday was a day to remember.  For a class assignment I was not allowed to speak write or use sign language.  Instead, I was to build a communication board and use that along with gestures, non-speech vocalizations (uh huh), and facial expressions/body language to communicate. 

Needless to say it was an interesting day.  It began at Waterstreet (the variety in my coffee joints absolutely astounds me).  I walked up to the counter and placed my communication board on the counter.  The attendant looked at me with a puzzled glance.   I let her read my introduction paragraph - basically saying for a class I was not allowed to speak etc.  I had it all planned out - on my communication board I had cells labeled 'coffee' and right next to it a cell labeled 'incredible bar' (peanut butter fudge covered in dark chocolate - delicious.  In my plan, when I would tell the cashier what I wanted I would only point to coffee and I would see if I got an incredible bar to - I had built some ambiguity into the system to see if the attendant would follow my communication or if he/she would assume too much and give me both items. 
Well, my plan was partially thwarted - the attendant was too good a communication partner - she did all the work so I didn't need my communication board.  She asked yes and no questions before I could tell her what I wanted with my board. So, she asked me if I wanted coffee, and then I said yes and spelled out d a r k for the dark roast.  She then asked me if I wanted room for cream, I indicated no.  Then, contrary to every other time she didn't ask me if I wanted anything else.  If I had wanted an incredible bar I could have shown her the icon for it.  Because I didn't want anything other than coffee everything in the communicative exchange went well.  The thing I can't tell is if my order is so ritualized that she knew I didn't usually get anything other than the dark roast, or if she wanted to exchange to go smoothly so she kept it simple.

Anyway, I did a lot of no talking and pointing and such.  During my day I took a break from being silent and had a meeting with Dr. Tasko about PhD stuff.  To make a long story short, we talked about what I should do, and where I should go and all that jazz.  So, I have a new top five list:

1. University of Iowa
1. Purdue University
3. University of Colorado-Boulder
4. Vanderbilt University
5. University of Pittsburg

I have contacted people from these universities, and am awaiting replies.  I am still planning to take a year or two off, but one of the things Dr. Tasko said was to establish lines of communication early, because the professors will be able to let me know when funding will become available.  I refuse to go anywhere that does not give me funding.

Now I get to begin the process of reading the researcher's past work, visiting the campuses, talking with faculty, etc.  But - first graduation and finding a job.

No comments: