Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pinky and the Brain

So, I began the day with an exciting hour in the anatomy lab! I just love the smell of formeldahyde in the morning, don't you?

Anyway, we were examining human brains. It was incredibly interesting. The brain is such a complex organ. I know a fair bit of neurological anatomy, yet I still felt completely inadequate after leaving the lab. There is so much I don't know, and we were just labeling things. We were not diving into what brain areas control what. We got into a little bit of that in the basal ganglia and cerebellum - but both of those are part of the secondary motor pathways.

Anyway - I saw several human brains today! I know not everyone gets excited about that, but I do. I have a greater understanding about the brain as a whole, but also the arteriole circulation to the brain (we have never really talked about venious venting of the brain, but from what I understand the veins are really boring. And if anything vascular is going to happen to the brain it is going to arrise from the arteries. I suppose aneurisms could stem from veins, I don't really know ... but the blood pressure would be less great in veins, so specifically aneurisms would be more likely in the arteries. Sorry, thinking "out loud" again.)

Anyway ... not much else ...

No comments: