Friday, October 26, 2007

A Little Perspective

So, here I am at Waterstreet (again - but the one downtown this time), it's a beautiful October day and in six months and one day I will be graduating. (I actually probably will not be done until June, but I'll be walking in April).  I have almost reached the half-way point with my thesis (I am now officially behind on it and not from a lack of work just from a  "Crap, this is a lot of work" syndrome).

Not having any idea where you will be in 8 months is an odd feeling.  I could be in Seattle, Boston, Kalamazoo, Washington DC, Tyler, TX, anywhere.  With that in mind I find myself enjoying the pleasant weather in Kalamazoo every chance I get.  Kalamazoo is a really cool place to live when the weather is nice.  When the weather is "less than nice" it looses a lot of it's charm.  There are glimmers of hope in the 6-month ice age that is about to ensue, but for the most part it's bitter cold and windy for a long freaking time.  There are also some items of memorabilia I want to pick up before leaving: a cup (and/or t-shirt) from Waterstreet, a t-shirt from bell's, a picture of Kraftbrau's (before it closes).  

My college years are 6-8 months from completion.  I'm a little bit excited about that.  At the same time it's a little intimidating.  When I'm working people will be depending on me for their care.  People will be relying on my expertise in speech, language and cognition - my performance will never again influence me and me alone.  I will have clients, colleagues, supervisors all relying on my work.  This realization (in my opinion) is the fundamental difference between undergraduate and post-graduate collegiate work.  There is the realization that you, as the certified and licensed speech-language pathologist, will be responsible for the neuro-rehab of my clients (in my view that is what all therapy is - changing neurological function.  Be that in the child with an articulation disorder (saying w for r ... this is for you Justin, Natalie, Theresa, and anyone else who will understand ... wiquid gwiding) or in the adult whose brain has been altered after a stroke or traumatic brain injury.  Everything is neurological in nature - our behaviors, our thoughts - what would be really interesting if they could prove the presence of God through neural studies - our soul, our interactions with God affect our minds and bodies; furthermore, those interactions should be observable in the human brain.  Oddly enough, there are people working on just that).

Anyway, that's enough perspective for me.  I need mine in small doses.

No comments: