Monday, October 22, 2007

My No Tolerance Policy

The first chance I got to enact my no tolerance policy occurred today.  I was at Waterstreet working on my thesis (by the way, I'm still at Waterstreet and should probably still be working on my thesis - but this was so good I had to blog about it now).

Anyway, I was sitting in a comfy chair minding my own buisness, and this young lady comes in and sits across from me on the comfy couch.  She saw that I was reading articles and typing on my computer so she begins small talk and asks if I'm studying for midterms.   I politely respond no I'm working on my thesis.  (Now, bear in mind that I'm a little dehydrated this morning which affects my vocal folds and starting my voice is more difficult - therefore stuttering is much easier - so why I'm drinking coffee and not water I don't know eh, not important).  So, I stuttered on "I" - it was just hard to get my voice going.  

She did a little laugh.  (remember this is the most common negative response I get).  So, I said, "What?".  

"Nothing" she replies looking away sheepishly.  Once her gaze returned to her book she did another little laugh.  

Now, I just want to prove my point to her.  So, I said, "You laughed, I just wonder what's so funny."

"Nothing."  

At this point I almost said, "Well, it looks like your laughing at me because I stuttered in my speech."  I really think I should have...but then again she's still sitting across from me, so I could still say that.  But, I'm taking small steps.  The pre-no-tolerance-policy-Bryan would have let the laugh pass by without a second thought.  At least now I addressed it.  Next time I'll go a little bit further.

So.  It's interesting that the person who mocked my stutter once again perfectly fits the profile.  In contrast, while ordering my coffee I stuttered (once again dehydrated vocal folds - in fact there I was nearly relocated to a whisper).  The cashier was male, and didn't even blink when I stuttered (furthermore, my stutter with him was worse).  Interesting facts about speech disorders and gender roles.

Anyway, I've blogged what I wanted to.  I should get back to my thesis.

2 comments:

b squared said...

When the young lady left she apologized for laughing at me, and said she didn't realize I stuttered. She thought I was making a joke. (Which I'm not sure I entirely agree with). So, I explained that this happens a lot, and so I've begun confronting people about it because many people don't understand stuttering - their perceptions have been altered by the media etc.

Andy Brown said...

Way to be strong Bryan. Standing up for myself can be the hardest thing in the world sometimes. I always find that the hard part is not getting angry when I'm sticking up for me. It's almost like you have to take a stand, but you don't want to take it personal. Almost remove myself from the situation to take an objective view on it. Ridiculously hard, for me anyway.