Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Union Debut

So I'm at Waterstreet (surprise!) working on my thesis (surprise!).  Well, I guess I'm literally taking a break from working on my thesis.  While on my thesis break I figured I would blog about my night last night.  It was a good night.  Some friends from church and I went out to the Union (for those of you are not from Kalamazoo, the Union is a semi-fancy restaurant that occasionally has live music from WMU students and other area musicians).  Anyway, last night Cliff was performing.  Cliff lives over on the east side of the state and regularly performs in restaurants and bars.  One of his trademarks is to get people up onstage singing.  So, fun fact - approximately 6 people got up on stage with him - and 3 of them were from my table (perhaps that's because 84.3% of were are on the worship band team).  

Anyway, Cliff asks for a guy (no, a 'stud') to go on stage.  My friends Jessica and Rachel point to me and tell Cliff to make me do it.  Instead he calls Jessica on stage to sing a song (I should tell you that Jessica and Rachel both know Cliff).  Jessica sings beautifully.  Cliff does some other stuff and then again asks for a 'stud'.  Again, Jessica and Rachel point to me.  This time I cave in and go up onstage.  I sing Blackbird by the Beatles.  It was great.  But weird - the monitor system was so bizarre that at first I didn't recognize my voice as my voice.  It was weird.  I thought that person is singing the same thing I am but that's not me ... oh, wait, it is.  So yeah.  Then to be fair Rachel got up and sang a song.  

After the set Cliff came over to our table and thanked us for participating, and told me that he was surprised and impressed by my voice ... it looks like, even though I'm not singing as much, I still haven't lost it.  It was fun ... my Union Debut.

That's about it.  Nothing else much.  Oh, I have an unofficial thesis defense date: May 28th.  As long as the 3rd member of my committee is available then it will be on the 28th.  Scary.  But that means that once the thesis is done we can go back through and fix the mistakes and then get it ready to submit to publication.  I'm going to be a published author (assuming it gets accepted).

Anyway ... back to the grind

No comments: