Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SEATTLE!!!!! (and tacoma too)

So, I'm back in Seattle.  Just for the remainder of the week.  It's a little after 6pm local time, and I'm sitting in a coffee shop in Seattle's Queen Anne neighborhood.  Today is a stereotypical Seattle day: overcast and cool.  It's only about 65 degrees.  I am perfectly fine with that (although don't think I'll be wearing the shorts I packed, it's supposed to be in the high 60's/low 70's all week).  

So, I made some noteworthy observations today ... 

1) northwest MI and Northeast WI really look like they do on the map.  We flew over Lake Michigan and I was able to see the Grand Traverse Bay, the Sleeping Bear Dunes, and both Beaver Islands, and then opposite that - Green Bay as well.  So - that's that.

2) *Warning - nerd moment* Then on the plane over I was able to sit behind and kitty-corner to another stutterer.  I would have liked to have talked with him, but the flight was entirely too full to manage switching seats and all that.  Anyway, I enjoyed eaves dropping on the conversation he was having with his seat buddy and more importantly the stewardess.  So, the stutterer, we'll call him Henry, was talking with his single serving friend (thank you Fight Club)  and they were having a nice little chat.  I would call Henry a moderate stutterer (to add context I'm a mild stutterer).  And Henry was doing a great job stuttering - I was impressed with the manner in which he stuttered openly and easily - not the point.  Henry's single serving friend was congenial and unobtrusive - the perfect conversation partner.  The stewardess, however, was not.  SHE NEVER LOOKED AT HIM WHEN HE TALKED TO HER!!  By contrast, she and Henry's single serving friend made eye contact and all that jazz.  I was a little annoyed by her.  Anyway.   *nerd moment over*

3) My first impression of Tacoma - holy hills!  The city is one big hill.  Literally.  

4) The facility I toured (in Tacoma) this afternoon was just about what I was expecting but less than I was hoping for (I was hoping for the impossible, just so we're all aware).  It is a mix of short term stay and long-term care.  Fairly typical, my caseload would probably not be that exciting, strokes, general debility, etc. The facility itself was not amazing, but it was acceptable.  I was disappointed with their selection of therapy materials and testing supplies.  That is something we would need to rectify.  It would also be nice to have a MBS suite in house (but I was spoiled with that at Southwest, so I shouldn't expect every rehab facility to have one).  I think I could work there.  I would like a bigger facility (more therapists) but it could work. 

5) I like Seattle - even on the stereotypical cloudy days.

That's about it for now .... I'll have more later, I'm sure.

No comments: