Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lost and Found Again

So, I have decided that I don't like the public transportation system of San Francisco. For various reasons - the most frustrating of which - is that even when getting directions from their website you find yourself in a not so nice part of San Francisco. However - thanks to a call to my good friend Justin and finding some wireless internet all was well again ... until it was time to find bus stop that takes me to the Amtrak station. When in the not-so-nice part of town I saw this HUGE bus stop that said AMTRAK all over it. So, when at Union Square in down town I was looking for something along those lines. Nope. A regular bus stop with a startlingly small sigh that said amtrak. So, phone calls to Justin helped a lot, but still didn't get me there, so after walking around for a bit I found a "San Francisco Visitor's Center" and I thought to myself [angelic chorus and heavenly beam of light streaming down from the heavens "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh." I went in, asked the funny old man with a Eastern European accent where I was supposed to go. Not only did he show me where to go, but gave me alternate routes just in case I missed my bus. I could have hugged him.

So, I found my train, and the morale of the story is: rent a car.

Anyway, I have just boarded the train, so I lost my internet connection, so I will actually be sending this from Ben and Crystals - because theirs will be the next internet connection I have.

So, while I'm typing here I'll go ahead and give my review of San Francisco and the San Francisco Bay area.

My first observation is the topography. All I have to say is WOW! It is beautiful out here. The mountains covered in grass that has been scorched brown by the sun while dotted with green trees. Up further on the peninsula the brown grass is replaced with the glint of houses. The hills of San Francisco proper remind me of what I think the hills of the Mediterranean might look. Down further on the mainland the rocky coasts of Monterrey look , quite simply, picturesque. The train is taking us along the East Bay right now (right along the coast) and it is beautiful. Typical of the rest of southern California there are wild fires here. I have learned to distinguish between clouds and the smoke from fires. Initially I thought the smoke was clouds, but they were "too brown" (they looked white to me, but after a second glance I did notice how they were more brown than the clouds high in the sky. Right now there are fires across the East Bay.

My second observation is the vegetation. It's all totally different from Michigan. (Well, I guess not totally different, but vastly so). The palm trees and palmetto trees, the redwoods (not giant redwoods, just small ones - although I heard that the biggest redwood is in Palo Alto), and then there were a bunch of trees I don't know the name of. The occasional cacti (prickly pear, not giant cactus). Kinda fun seeing things other than Maple, Oak, White and Red Pine and Evergreen greens.

My third observation is the infrastructure. It is a mix of what I would consider Spanish Hacienda with Mediterranean Villa. This is true of the smaller buildings only. The larger buildings can only be described as "Urban Jungle-esque" But, this urban jungle has a lot more class than other urban jungles (i.e., Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, even Boston and New York). the buildings are not just giant box-like obelisks. There is color, glass, interesting shapes.
The golden gate bridge is fabulous. I wasn't able to see it up close, sadly, but I was able to see it while driving over the Bay Bridge.

Of these I have one regret: I did not take enough pictures. And, you know it is difficult to take pictures while lugging around all your luggage. Just makes life difficult. Anyway.

My fourth observation: the Urban Sprawl. It is necessary just because San Francisco is so expensive. Accordingly, the traffic during rush hour is gross, but bearable in a Toyota Scion with a sun roof open, windows down, and iPod blaring whatever I felt like playing.

I'm done observing things - I feel like a nerd

Anyway, I just realized that I had not blogged about the third (and final) interview I had in the bay area. The friend I was staying with (Joel) also happens to be a speech pathologist. And it just so happens that Joel's boss is looking to hire another speech pathologist. So, as soon as Joel's boss (Jen) heard that I was in town she wanted to talk to me. So - she called me to set up an interview (coincidently, Thursday morning). So I went into the interview and I really like the place they've got there. So much so, that I stayed all day. I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I have a small world story. So we all know about Ben and Crystal's friend Sergio who moved back to California a while ago. Sergio is dating a speech pathologist, Alex. And it just so happens that Alex is also employed at Bay Area Speech. So I was able to meet her and go out for lunch with Sergio and Joel and his girlfriend, Cindy. It was great fun. So, the interview went very well. It was so informal - Jen and I sat out on the clinic's patio drinking coffee and looking out at the mountainous hills surrounding Morgan Hill. It was simply beautiful. We talked about theories of intervention strategies and research experience, my personal experience with stuttering, hers with ADD. Honestly, I think I liked this place the most.

Anyway. That is a chronicle. and I'm done now.

No comments: