Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Truths

Of all the truths in the world that exist, this is most evident - my feet hurt.  I have literally walked miles all over Seattle, and I didn't bring good walking shoes to boot!  So, I'm back in one of my fun little parks I've "discovered" - this one is right downtown two blocks down Pike St from the Pike Place Market.  The one with the wifi.  This is truly a multi-sensory experience, there is the constant drone of traffic rumbling down Pike St and 3rd Ave, a bagpipe playing in the distance, the shhhing of the fountain behind me, the voices of people passing by.  Then there is the actual sport of people watching - very interesting ... one of my favorite past times.  I'm just going to list the things I see - just for fun.

Two guys attempting to discretely drink beer from styrofoam cups (one of which had a repaired cleft lip) ... I must admit that I aided and abbedded the beer drinkers, I let them borrow my bottle opener ... after which they offered me swigs of their beers - two good beers, Harp Lager and Smithwicks ... good quality beers ... although warm.  They are actually from Oberlin College in Oberlin, OH - imagine that.  
An elderly man feeding bread crumbs to the pigeons
Several homeless people napping on the benches
Tourists taking pictures
Children running through the fountain (and screaming too)
A pigeon mating ritual, or something ike taht - a big puffed up pigeon chasing a smaller one
A girl walking her boxer who just spat, very un-lady-like, on the groud

Ok - I'm done with that now.

Let me tell you another truth - this truth is about my night last night.  I went out an walked around the Capital Hill neighborhood last night.  Walked around, looked at some apartments I had found online, played a couple games of pool, hung out with some random people I met - I had a great time.  So - I begin to make my way home, only to realize that the bus route I had intended on taking made it's last run about a half hour before.  Not a particularly ideal situation.  So, I found another bus that was headed in the same direction and decided that I would hop on that one and get off once it stopped going in the direction(s) I wanted to go in.  So - that's what I did, and thankfully my plan worked - the bus stopped going the direction I wanted to go (North and/or East) about 16 blocks from my friends house.  16 blocks - that's nothing.  So, I walked back to his house, past some raucous parties (Philip lives right near the University of Washington, Seattle).  So anyway.  I get to Philip's house and all the doors are locked.  I call him ... many many times, send him text messages, pound on the front door, back door, his bedroom window ... it is as this point I make a realization : Philip is very much like his older brother: they both sleep like the dead.  So, I knew there was no way I was going to get into the house.  So, I thought about going to a 24 hr coffee shop or some other establishment ... couple flaws with that plan.  My computer was locked inside the house, so I couldn't locate the nearest one, and seeing as though we were in a neighborhood that was quite a distance from downtown, and university was out for summer I assumed that finding a 24 hr establishment was going to be difficult.  So, I went back to the Safeway I had passed on my way there and searched for a blanket or towel ... no dice.  So, I bought some paper towels instead.  Then using a broken coffee table, chair and door mats laying on the front porch I made a lean-to against the house in and effort to break the wind, then wrapped my head and feet and stuffed my shirt with paper towels ... at this point I should mention that I was wearing a very light t-shirt, a tank top underneath that, pants and sandals (no socks).  That night was by far the coldest night I have had in a long time.  Finally, several (like 4) hours later about 4:30 Philip woke up and opened the door for me.  Needless to say - I was not happy. So, I slept until about 10 and then got up and began my day much later than I wanted to.  

Anyway, the wind has picked up a bit and now my arms are getting a bit chilled ... think I'll go inside.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

we are so sorry you had to sleep out in the cold weather. but we think you were very resourceful to stuff your shirt with paper towels for warmth! Happy Travels today!
Meghan and Nicole